Wednesday, April 9, 2014

SCIENCE FOCUS



At the end of my third grade class’s two hour literacy block, science takes place.  As I have mentioned before, science and social studies instruction alternates from quarter to quarter.  This does not mean that during the fourth quarter, social studies is not taught at all.  I am learning and observing that a lot of social studies and science overlap and are integrated within each other.  


From what I have seen so far during science, most of it seems to be very hands-on.  Since I have not had much experience teaching science previously, I am glad to see examples of science instruction that is hands-on and not textbook based, which is what I experienced most of my schooling.  I feel as though my cooperating teacher has, so far, given me a good example of how to teach science to third graders.


Today, I had the opportunity to observe as my students learned about one of their final simple machines: the wheel and axle.  My cooperating teacher had each group of four students read together a book about the wheel and axle.  They took turns reading, and after, each group shared something different that they learned.  From here, the class collaboratively came up with a definition of wheel and axle.  For what is sometimes called the active engagement part of a lesson, my CT placed each group into different corners of the room and allowed them to play with these special Lego blocks they recently received.  There are several simple machines and apparatuses that can be built with this set of Legos.  The kits come with pictures and guides of the different machines that can be built.  This is a great resource for the students to have to work with!  After this, the students came back to their seats and my CT refreshed what a wheel and axle is.  Then, the students drew a picture of it underneath their definition.

In terms of what I have learned about lesson plan writing during my time at ISU, I would say that this particular lesson was great.  While my CT did not type up the lesson plan and hand it to me, I was still able to notice things we have learned in class and pinpoint an opening, direct instruction, and closing.  Picking out and arranging these parts of a lesson is something I am working on still, but I do believe I have become better at it since the beginning of the semester.


Another thing I have noticed during science instruction, and any instruction actually, is that my CT really favors Brain POP.  Brain POP is a resource I have just become familiar with this semester, and from what I have seen, it really has some quality materials and resources!  Instead of using the early childhood version of Brain POP (junior), my CT just uses the regular one, which is for older kids.  I know some of the videos I have come across on the regular Brain POP are too advanced for early childhood grades, but what I have seen my CT use in class seems to be appropriate.  For example, she used one about the lever, and it seemed to get its point across to the students without getting too advanced.  However, the provided quiz after the video seemed to be too hard for the students.


Since science was my poorest subject in school and the one I enjoyed the least, I am happy to know that I have a good model in my clinical placement.  I’m taking in a lot since I am inexperienced teaching science, and I will use what I am learning while I student teach in the fall.  Although I am student teaching in kindergarten and probably won’t be teaching the same content as I am seeing now in third grade, I can still use my CT’s model as I continue with my experience at ISU.  Something I hope to learn more about these next two weeks is how my CT assesses science.


 - the book one of the groups of students read during the lesson today

3 comments:

  1. Danielle,
    I’m glad you are experiencing hands-on science activities in your classroom! Based on what we have learned in 276, this is one of the most important parts of students learning in science. There are so many activities out there that can be used to teach science concepts that don’t come from a science book. Unfortunately, I do not get to experience this in my classroom. This past week I tried doing a hands-on experiment with my students and you could tell that they had no prior experience with this type of learning and the lesson was sort of a struggle. Students didn’t know how to generate questions and think through deeper questions so I feel that they only took a surface understanding of what I was trying to teach about the food chain instead of a deep understanding like I had hoped. I really like to see that your teacher is incorporating literacy into her science lessons. There are so many books out there that can be used to teach science. I personally think that books can be used as a great hook/engagement for student and also a great material to use during the elaboration stage of the 5E model. When I write my lesson plans, I usually try to incorporate non-fiction book at this stage because I have found this is a great way to present factual information to students in a fun way. I feel that the images that non-fiction children’s book provides can be a great tool to elaborate on the information that was tested during an experiment. The images can help student’s make real life connections. For example, in the lesson you described about wheels and axels, using a book such as How Wheels and Axels Work by Jim Mezzanotte, the images show all real life pictures where wheels and axels are used, in places like a carnival. Making real life connections will give students a purpose for what they just learned and help them understand there is reasoning behind what they are learning.
    P.S. Im glad to hear your teacher is using BrainPop! The more I play around with that website the more I love it. I think it provides such great, factual, information in a kid friendly way.
    Jessica

    Here is a link to the book I was talking about if you wanted to look into it! http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/360893883328?lpid=82

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle,

    I think it's so interesting that your school is integrating science and social studies together. I am glad that you get to see a lot of hands-on activities, things that relate to what we are learning in our 276 science class. I would love to hear more examples like the lesson you explained on wheel and axles. I think it's great that your teacher is allowing students to work in groups and actively participate in learning. The wheel and axle lesson helped students apply what they learned by using science and engineering skills like the Legos. I really liked when you said, "There are several simple machines and apparatuses that can be built with this set of Legos. The kits come with pictures and guides of the different machines that can be built. This is a great resource for the students to have to work with!" I totally agree! I have kept my Legos from when I was a kid and all kids love Legos! Using them for science activities can allow students to be creative. Also, I really like that the kits help students by giving them visual examples, which can support students who need more visual support or more models to follow when using the Legos. Also, I really like that your CT is incorporating Brain Pop to support children's interests and knowledge. I will be using Brain Pop in my next lesson and am hoping that the kids will love it! I am glad that you are enjoying science in your clinicals, and am wondering from what you are learning this semester about science instruction, do you think you would incorporate science and social studies? Do you think this curriculum structure benefits your students? I think teaching science and social studies collaboratively can be beneficial for students building academic language and context knowledge, and I think it would be really interesting to see how someone would incorporate this in the curriculum throughout the year, and how a teacher would scaffold on and expand on concepts in both subject areas for students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danielle,

    Once again, I'm late to the commenting party! :) That is a good thing:). I agree with the gals that seeing SS and science integrated rocks, especially when it is all engaging!!!!! What a lucky gal you have been to see this in action from such an expert teacher. I am happy to hear that you are taking lots of specifics with you as you move ahead, and especially proud that you are able to id lesson components now! Woohoo!

    :)Kira

    ReplyDelete